Sunday 28 October 2012

Is Reality TV Dead?

For as long as I can remember there's always been some form of reality TV out there. Whether it was talent shows like Pop Idol, The X Factor or Britain's Got Talent... or even shows such as Big Brother where members of the public auditioned to be chosen as part of a select few, there's always been something.

Although most of these shows are still around today, it just doesn't seem to be the same as it used to. I don't know if it's simply because I've grown up and the appeal just isn't there for me anymore, or if these shows just aren't as good as they used to be. This seems especially poignant with all the new types of reality TV that are coming onto the scene, such as Geordie Shore, which over the past couple of years has quickly become a favourite amongst viewers. All of it does makes you wonder as to how much the old reality TV format is still working, especially with viewing figures decreasing.

When I think of talent shows nowadays all I can think of rather than actual talent is how it seems as though they're simply exploiting those with any kind of 'sob' story. As the years have gone on I've gotten increasingly bored of hearing about them regardless of how devastating and upsetting they're meant to be. It's not just me being a heartless person, it's the fact that they're shoved in your face from how much certain companies and corporations want to capitalise from it, that it's easy to become desensitised to it all.

I do think that some forms of reality TV are dead and that they should end rather than be tediously dragged out for years to come. What do you think though? IS reality TV dead?

Truly, Mase.

No comments:

Post a Comment